Fayaz Zafar | July 20, 2012 | News
After lifting the ban on the local artists by the provincial government, the district locality called back the surveillance police deployed in the Banr locality of Mingora Swat-the center of the local musicians and dancing girls.
Previously, the Swat police put an official ban on musical/dancing performance within Mingora city some two months ago. However, the DPO Swat put an official ban on the performance of the local artistes one week ago hurling them into the life of misery and hardship.
However, the provincial government intervened into the matter and lifted the ban on the performances after the move was greatly highlighted in the media especially the Wednesday’s editorial in the Urdu ‘zamaswat.com’. zamaswat.com first broke the news of the ban and started a campaign in favor of the artist community of Swat.
After the lifting of the ban, the local artistes thanked the daily Mashriq for supporting them in the time of adversity when others observed complete silence. Now, when the ban is no more there, the local artists still dread police and are hesitant to give any statement to the media except on condition of anonymity.
They said that they will spend the month of Ramadan in devotion and will postpone all kinds of activities. “The last two months were the worst of our life. However, during the holy month of fasting, we will observe complete abstention from music and dance,” one of the artists said requesting anonymity. He demanded the provincial government to conduct a thorough probe into the matter and bring all the involved to the book.
On the other hand, many artists are said to have gone for Tabligh after disappointment.